Sumter School District Policy
JICA Student Dress
Students will dress and groom in a clean and neat manner which does not distract or interfere with the operation of the school. Student attire should not be destructive to school property or be immodest or revealing and should comply with requirements for health and safety. Clothing that will cause or is likely to cause disruption of the learning process of others may not be worn.
The following are not to be worn by students.
- Hats, bandannas, scarves, gloves, shower caps, hair combs, picks, curlers or hairnets and sweatbands, or any other unauthorized head covering.
- Sunglasses or goggles (inside building), except prescription sunglasses upon medical orders
- Cut-off clothing unless it is cuffed or hemmed
- Gang-related colors, jewelry or insignia
- Gym shorts, fishnet shirts or blouses, tank tops, halters, cut or torn clothing, tube tops, t-strap tops, tops which show the abdomen, midriff or inner arm pit areas; see-through garments or underwear worn as outer clothing (proper undergarments will be worn at all times)
- Footies, pajamas, house shoes or bedroom slippers (students must wear appropriate footwear at all times; shoes will be worn for safety and health reasons; no person should be barefoot at school; shoes, sneakers, boots, etc., must be laced up and tied)
- Lycra or spandex clothing or any excessively tight clothing (leggings may be worn under shorts or dresses provided that the shorts or dresses meet the length standards)
- Any clothing or accessories with profanity or distasteful depictions; advertising for drugs, beer or tobacco companies; or “political statements” advocating violation of law
- Any attire deemed by the administration to be unsuitable or disruptive to the educational or cultural climate of the school
Hats and gloves may be worn to school but not inside the school building.
Shorts, shorts skirts, skorts, etc., must be no shorter than three inches above the knee.
Boxer shorts may not be worn as outside clothing, Biker shorts, spandex shorts and umbro shorts may not be worn.
Jeans or pants with holes may be worn only when the holes are not deemed indecent.
No sagging pants, shorts, skirts, etc. are allowed. These items should be worn above the hip.
Belts must be kept buckled. Suspenders or overall straps must be hooked and kept on shoulders.
All clothing must be sized appropriately. Clothing must be decent, clean and properly worn at all times. Shirts (male or female) must be tucked in. This includes t-shirts and garments worn as undershirts or over shirts. Mid-length blouses that are made to be worn out and do not otherwise violate the dress code are legal. Having shirt tails tucked in is a safety and security issue. Administrators reserve the right to have students tuck in shirts upon request and wear belts at the waist if clothing appears to be inappropriately sized.
Staff members have the authority to confiscate inappropriate items such as hats or sunglasses worn in the building. These items will be held by the school and the school is not responsible if the items are damaged, stolen or lost.
Any student found to be in violation of the dress code will be required to report to the office to call someone to bring an appropriate change of clothes and/or to receive disciplinary action.